Orientation for incoming Graduate and Professional School Students took place on Tuesday, September 25, 2012. Miss the fun? You can still get the information from the panel presentations. Click here for a PDF version of their presentation.
The day included a procession from the Main Quad to Rockefeller Chapel, a Welcome Convocation in Rockefeller Chapel, an Information Fair and Lunch in Ida Noyes Hall, and panel discussions on everything you need to know about grad life at UChicago, followed by a Grad Social.
Click here for the 2012 Orientation Program - and please feel free to Ask the Gargoyle if you have questions. Students with visual impairments can click here for a more accessible version of the day's schedule or contact Student Disabilities Services.
If you want more information on any of the offices or services who participated, follow the links below.
Meet your fellow incoming graduate and professional school students on the main quad for a procession to Rockefeller Memorial Chapel.
Don't miss this opportunity to join your entire cohort for a welcome celebration in Rockefeller Memorial Chapel. Speakers will include President Robert Zimmer; Deborah Nelson, the Deputy Provost for Graduate Education; and Kristen Schilt, Assistant Professor in Sociology.Information Fair & Lunch
Ida Noyes Hall
You're invited to meet representatives from over 30 campus offices and Hyde Park organizations that are relevant to graduate & professional school students. This is your chance to talk one-on-one with many of the offices and organizations you'll use most during your time on campus. Also, take advantage of this time to meet other new graduate students and connect with those outside your department.
These presentations give you a broad overview of the many campus resources that will support you as a graduate or professional school student. Get the 411 on all the most important resources here for YOU!
The Pub in Ida Noyes Hall
Join Grad Council for a post-Orientation social downstairs in the Pub! Please bring proper identification.
Offices Participating in Breakout Sessions and the Information Fair (based on 2011 participation):
* Alumni Association
* The Arts Council & the Hyde Park Alliance for Arts & Culture
* Bias Response Team
* Campus Dining
* Career Advising and Planning Services (CAPS)
* Center for Teaching and Learning
* Dean-on-Call Program
* Disability Services
* Dissertation Office
* Doc Films
* The Family Resource Center
* Graduate Student Affairs (GSA)
* Grad Council (GC)
* Hyde Park Chamber of Commerce
* I-Go Cars
* International House
* IT Services
* LGBTQ Student Life
* Music Department
* Office of International Affairs (OIA)
* Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA)
* Office of the Reynolds Club and Student Activities (ORCSA)
* Office of the Student Ombudsperson
* Office of the Vice President for Campus & Student Life
* Oriental Institute
* Physical Education & Athletics
* Resources for Sexual Violence Prevention (RSVP)
* Safety & the U of C Police Department
* Seminary Co-Op Bookstore
* Spiritual Life
* Student Government
* Student Health and Counseling Services
* Student Loan Administration
* Transportation & Parking
* UnitedHealthcare StudentResources (Student Insurance)
* University Bookstore (Barnes & Noble)
* University Community Service Center (UCSC)
* University Registrar
* Work Study/Student Employment