The Higher Education Internship Program (HEI) provides UChicago graduate students the opportunity to get an inside look at careers in higher education administration through a paid internship at participating campus-wide offices.
These internships should be specific projects that the HEI can complete within the specified term, usually 10-15 hours per week for one academic year (and not less than 1 quarter). Examples of Higher Ed internships include compiling procedural manuals; organizing and publicizing major events; revising the content and structure of office websites; and soliciting and developing methods to engage students on University outreach initiatives. The HEI Program includes a series of monthly workshops when Interns from across campus come together to share on-the-job experiences and hone professional skills.
Interested in Becoming a Higher Education Intern?
To be eligible, Higher Ed Interns must be enrolled in a full-time UChicago graduate program during the term of employment. Applications for the 2016-17 cohort will be posted on GRAD Gargoyle this fall.
Interested in Hosting a Higher Education Intern?
Host offices are responsible for writing the job description, screening candidates, and compensating the Fellow at a minimum of $15 per hour. Internships are work-study eligible. Campus offices interested in developing a Higher Education Internship or posting a current opportunity should contact Mike Tessel.
Higher Education Internship Opportunities
All Higher Education Internship opportunities for 2016-17 will be posted at GRAD Gargoyle.
Higher Education Interns
2015-16 HEI Cohort
- Maria Welch (PhD student, Music) - GRADFair coordinator for UChicagoGRAD Career Team
- Sonia Gomez (PhD student, History) - graduate diversity & inclusion (UChicagoGRAD, CCT, OMSA, & CSPRC)
- Jasmine Benjamin (PhD student, Political Science) - graduate diversity & inclusion (UChicagoGRAD, CCT, OMSA, & CSPRC)
- Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez (PhD student, Psychology) - Office of the Director of Graduate Diversity Recruitment Initatives
- Camille Reynolds (PhD student, History)
- Elizabeth Fiedler (PhD Student, Romance Langauges and Literatures) - Humanities Dean of Students Office
- Jamie Waters (MA Student, Center for Middle East Studies)
2014-15 HEI Cohort
- Carlos Cardenas-Iniguez (PhD student, Psychology) - Office of the Provost
- Madison Hendren (PhD student, Romance Languages & Literatures) - Humanities Division
- Antoine Jones (PhD student, Sociology) - UChicagoGRAD
- Jose Medina (MA student, International Relations) - Alumni Relations & Development
- Susan Mallaney (MPP student, Public Policy) - Graduate Enrollment Initiatives
- Chiara Montanari (PhD student, Romance Languages & Literatures) - Career Advancement
- Jamie Olson, (MA student, CMES) - Department of Art History
- Stephen Pannuto (PhD student, English) - Student Disability Services
- Marianna Staroselsky (PhD student, Comparative Human Development) - Humanities Division
- Kasey Van Hedger (PhD student, Psychology) - Graduate Enrollment Initiatives
- Bart Van Wassenhove (PhD student, Classics) - Social Sciences Division