What is Networking?
Networking is about making real connections with other professionals who can help you in your career. Our Introduction to Networking presentation shows you how it's done.
- Asking for advice, suggestions, and contacts
- The start of a conversation, to building a relationship
- Learning about careers from people in those careers
Networking is not...
- Asking for a job. If the question you ask is, “Do you have a job for me?”– the answer is likely to be “no” and the conversation is over.
- Asking for preferential treatment
Improve Your Networking Skills
In our Introduction to Networking, we give you the step-by-step tactics you need to:
- Prepare for a networking event
- Become more comfortable at networking events
- Become an active listener
- Turn small talk into meaningful conversations
- Give a compelling pitch
- Maintain connections and build relationships
Three Keys to Successful Networking
- Be helpful – provide relevant information, articles, introductions, and advice
- Follow up and maintain the connection
- Don’t ask for a job
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Have you read the Guide to Networking? Want to learn more?
It might be time to schedule an advising appointment. During our advising session, we'll give you personalized guidance for improving your networking skills.