About the Award
The University of Chicago's Collège de France Exchange Fellowship is a new program to support one student for a year of doctoral research in Paris. This award provides: 1) a formal year-long affiliation with the Collège de France, 2) access to certain material and intellectual resources at the College de France, and 3) a financial package totaling $26,000 to support the fellow’s doctoral dissertation research.
Applicants must be enrolled in a doctoral program in the Humanities Division, the Social Sciences Division, or the Divinity School at the University of Chicago. They should also either be admitted into candidacy or have plans to be admitted into candidacy prior to the start of fellowship tenure. U.S. citizenship is not a requirement.
Ideal candidates will be those with both exceptionally promising research agendas and compelling reasons to conduct research in France. They should be at a stage in their academic trajectories where research abroad would make the greatest impact. Ideal candidates should also be able to convincingly articulate why an affiliation with the Collège de France would be particularly beneficial to them at this stage in their careers.
Collège de France exchange fellows are expected to participate in the intellectual life at the Collège de France. For this reason, while short-term research stays in other parts of France and/or Europe are not specifically prohibited, there is an expectation that Collège de France fellows will be based primarily in Paris during their fellowship tenure.
All application components should be submitted to Jessica Smith (email@example.com) via e-mail by Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 5:00pm CST. In late January or early February, all applicants will be interviewed by a faculty review committee. In order to be considered for the award, a student must submit a fully completed application, including:
- Completed and signed application form;
- Statement of grant purpose (no longer than 4 pages, double-spaced);
- A short statement of support (in letter or email form) from a Collège de France faculty member who agrees to advise you during fellowship tenure*;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- Official transcripts from all degree-granting institutions attended by the applicant (post-high school).
For eligibility or application procedural questions, contact Jessica Smith, Assistant Director of Fellowships in UChicagoGRAD. For questions regarding the Collège de France, contact Dan Bertsche, Associate Director at the France Chicago Center.
* Ideally, applicants will contact potential Collège de France Mentors mid-autumn at the latest. Applicants who have made email contact in that time frame, but who have not received a response by January 2, may contact Dan Bertsche (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the France Chicago Center. FCC may be able to elicit a response using administrative channels at the Collège de France.