What are Informational Interviews?
An informational interview is a chance for you to learn about a person with an interesting job, a desirable career path, and shared academic or professional interests. Our Informational Interview Guide provides an introduction to the basics of informational interviews. You can also view slides from a recent workshop, Informational Interviews: The key to Networking Success.
What are they?
- Informal conversations arranged at your request
- Common practice among job seekers, particularly those changing fields
- Essential networking tool
- The easiest way to network- especially for introverts
What are they not?
- Not a job interview
- Robotic interactions with single defined objective
- Sufficient on their own for developing a real relationship
- A shady exchange intended to cheat an otherwise meritocratic labor market
Schedule an Advising Appointment
Want to learn more about how to get the most out of informational interviews?
It might be time to schedule an advising appointment with a UChicagoGRAD career advisor. During our advising session, we'll give you personalized guidance for successful informational interviews.