I wish to apply for a PhD. Do I need a master’s degree to apply?

Not usually. The vast majority of our graduate programs accept applicants with a four-year bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. The exceptions are the PhD programs in the Divinity School and the Crown Family School of Social Work, Policy, and Practice, which require a master’s degree, and our master’s degree in Public Health Sciences, which requires a doctoral-level clinical degree (e.g., an MD, DO, or PhD in Nursing). However, it is not uncommon for some programs to have a preference for individuals already holding master’s degree, and an increasing number of entering doctoral candidates in some fields do already hold a master's degree.

I have not graduated with a four-year bachelor’s degree. Can I still apply?

For admission to most of our programs, applicants need the equivalent of a four-year bachelor's degree. However, our faculty understand that in many parts of the world three-year undergraduate degrees are standard. In those cases, our programs will typically accept a three-year degree, provided it is equivalent to a bachelor's, such as a BTech or BSc degree. That said, it is not unusual in some programs for students to do a fourth-year program of some type to enhance the competitiveness of their application.

Do you offer conditional admission?

Very few programs at the University of Chicago offer conditional admission to students who have yet to formally apply to a program or do not yet meet our English proficiency requirements. The best way to find out if your program offers conditional admission is to contact them directly.

What financial aid is available to international students?

International applicants are given equal consideration for all awards and sources of University funding for which they qualify. However, sources of aid are limited and competitive because some programs receive funding from the U.S. government that cannot be used to support international students. International students are also not eligible for U.S. student loans in most cases. For these reasons, we encourage all international students to investigate outside sources of aid, including programs within their home country, as well as organizations like Education USA, the Institute of International Education, and International Education Financial Aid. Further information on financial policies can be found here.

What work opportunities are available to international students?

There are many employment opportunities available for graduate students, regardless of their citizenship status. Visit our international student funding page and the Office of International Affairs website to learn more about applying for work as an international student.

Will the University sponsor a visa for me?

The University of Chicago only sponsors visas for students who have been accepted to and are enrolling at the university. Our Office of International Affairswill facilitate this process once you accept an offer of admission.

English Language Requirements

What are the English language test requirements?

All applicants to graduate programs at the University of Chicago are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores during the application process, unless they meet the requirements for a waiver. Minimum requirements vary by program.

Can I have a waiver for the English language test requirements?

Applicants are eligible for a waiver if: English has been a primary language of communication and schooling for you since childhood; or you were enrolled for at least one academic year in full-time coursework in a degree program at an accredited English-medium post-secondary institution in one of the following countries or territories within the past ten years: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Kingdom, the United States. Exemptions are granted automatically during the application process, and there is no form required—only submission of your transcripts which indicate you meet the waiver requirement. Please do not contact departments or Admissions regarding a waiver. If you meet the criteria the application system will automatically not require you to report a TOEFL/IELTS score.​​​​​​​

Does the university offer English language courses?

Our English Language Institute offers classes for non-native English speakers through the Academic English Pre-matriculation Program (AEPP), as well as special interests classes and workshops during the school year. However, these classes are not part of an accredited program at the University of Chicago and do not satisfy any University requirements. All international applicants are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores during the application process. Information about minimum scores required for admission can be found here.

I studied at an English medium university in a country which is not in the TOEFL/IELTS exempt list. Do I still have to take the exam?

Yes. Unless English has been a primary language of communication and schooling for you since childhood, you must take an English language exam. If you attended an English-medium university not in one of the approved list of countries, you must still take the exam.

Application Questions

What is the application process? What extra is required of international applicants?

Each department handles its own admissions process, so please be sure to check the admissions requirements listed on your program’s website carefully. For most programs, international applicants provide all the same materials as domestic applications. All applicants, regardless of citizenship, must also meet our English proficiency requirement, either by qualifying for a waiver, or by submitting a TOEFL/IELTS score which meets the program's minimum requirements. In some cases, due to visa timelines, programs may require international applicants to apply during one of their earlier application cycles.

Do I need to convert my GPA to a 4.0 scale?

Unless you are specifically requested to do so in the instructions on your application, please do not convert your GPA to a 4.0 scale.

Do I have to have my transcripts translated into English?

If any of your required documents are not already in English, please upload the documents in their original language along with an English translation. Translations should be prepared or verified by someone whose position requires knowledge of both English and the other language—for example, a professor of English at a French university. The University of Chicago does not offer translation services. However, applicants seeking a translator might consider contacting their home country’s consulate or embassy or searching the directory of the American Translators Association.