Virtual Programming and Resources
Welcome to the Graduate Student Lounge
Click through the office to find available resources!
To get to the study room, click the right arrow at the bottom of the lounge and the click join here under “Study Room”.
- Expand Your Perspective: A Podcast by UChicagoGRAD
- UChicagoGRAD is thrilled to announce the launch of Expand Your Perspective, a new podcast highlighting the research of UChicago graduate students and postdocs. Expand Your Perspective features episodes of which brings together a group of researchers for a far-ranging conversation on a common theme. We hope this podcast provides an exciting opportunity for grad students and postdocs to showcase their work and for our listeners to learn more about the groundbreaking research that goes on at UChicago. Read more about the podcast, its founders, and episodes here!
- Graduate Admissions – Learn more at the Graduate Admissions Page
- We have made the decision to cancel all in-person admissions programs and interactions out of concern for the health and wellness of everyone in our campus community and all of our guests. While the Office of Graduate Admissions will be closed to the public on campus, our staff will be readily available to help you via email or phone during these challenging times. We also are offering the opportunity to schedule a one-on-one Zoom meeting with a member of the admissions team – click here to schedule an appointment. You do not need a Zoom account to join a meeting.
- View media resources (webinars, online publications, etc.) here
- Sounding Board Advising – Visit the Sounding Board Sign-Up Page
- Emotional distress is common and normal in the context of uncertainty and potentially health-threatening situations. Taking care of your mental health needs during the COVID-19 Pandemic is challenging and particularly when being required to shelter in place, oftentimes, in isolation. Tend to your wellbeing by reaching out to UChicagoGRAD’S Sounding Board advising service which provides remote phone consultations addressing anxiety, fear, relationship concerns, and other destabilizing reactions during these uncertain and upsetting times.
- GRADHelp – Learn more about Financial Wellness Resources
GRADHelp is your source for help and information about stipends, payments, bills, fees, insurance, and more. If you have questions about any kind of payment or other financial-related issue and aren’t sure where to turn, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Diversity and Inclusion Advising and Workshops – Diversity Workshop Sign-Up Page
All students and postdocs can sign up for advising sessions to discuss issues, concerns and experiences related to diversity as it affects their academic and career development as well as personal wellbeing.
Structured Writing Accountability Groups (SWAG) – In collaboration with Student Support Services and the Writing Program, we provide space and structure for graduate student and postdoc quarterly writing accountability groups.
- Fellowship Advising and Workshops – Fellowship Events Sign-Up Page
- Fellowship advisors are available to work with you on application materials for specific fellowships or grants.
- Small group advising sessions are also available to help applicants compare the different types of grants, understand the application components, learn about strategies for developing competitive applications, and receive resources for further exploration.
- Graduate Writing Consultations – Writing Consultation Sign-Up Page
- UChicagoGRAD is offering one-on-one online Graduate Writing Consultations for graduate students interested in working on their academic writing. Consultants work with writers on academic papers, journal articles, dissertation chapters, proposals, and other academic documents.
- Career Development Advising and Workshops – Career Development Even Sign-Up Page
- For Your Job Search
- Are you currently in the middle of a job search, or are you gearing up to begin one? Are you planning to go on the academic job market this fall? Talk with a career advisor about how you can refine your strategy now that hiring is happening virtually. This includes advice for crafting a strong LinkedIn profile or personal website as digital presence increases in importance. Your advisor can also share strategies for expanding your options in an uncertain job market.
- A new guide from UChicagoGRAD can help you stay on track. With the outbreak of COVID-19, you may have questions about how to proceed with your job search. Social distancing, remote work, and economic uncertainty can make an already stressful process more complicated, but there are steps you can take now to move forward. This guide gives advice for conducting a job search using online resources and tools for virtual engagement. It also provides recommendations about creating flexibility in your search and points to relevant resources.
- For Public Speaking, Interviewing, and Networking Preparation
- Are you interviewing for jobs? Getting ready for a presentation? Preparing for virtual networking conversations? GRADTalk advising helps you enhance your oral communication skills for a variety of professional applications. You can schedule a meeting with a GRADTalk advisor to practice virtual presentations for your classes, committee, lab, or prospective employers. You can also use GRADTalk as a low-stakes way to practice using Zoom and other remote technologies.
- For Your Written Application Materials
- Are you satisfied with your CV or resume? Whether you are currently applying for jobs or not, this is a good time to refine written materials such as your CV, resume, or cover letters. In a virtual meeting, you can work on live edits with your UChicagoGRAD career advisor, sharing screens and discussing the documents line by line.
- For Your Career Exploration
- Are you trying to decide what type of career makes sense for you? Whether you are completely undecided or just want to explore contingency options in case your current plans are disrupted, UChicagoGRAD career advisors are experienced at helping you work through a process of self-reflection and personal discovery. We are here to listen first, meet you where you are, and offer guidance in navigating the range of available opportunities.
- Career Development Webinars
- Check out our directory of virtual workshops to help you navigate your career.
- Virtual Study Hour at the Graduate Student Lounge ( Starting again January 6 , Wednesdays, 12:00-1:00pm CT), – While waiting for the Lounge to open for in-person events, graduate students can drop in to an online version of the space that features breakout study rooms where students can work among their peers.
- Dissertation Write-Ins: (January 5-6 and 7-8, 9:00am-12:00noon CT) Re-commit to your writing in 2021! This Write-In will provide a 2-day intensive virtual writing space for graduate students. No writing instruction will be provided – just dedicated time and space to work in the presence of other dissertation writers. In this session, participants commit to writing 3 hours a day for two days. Ideal for graduate students seeking to get back into their projects after the winter break by laying the groundwork for a regular writing practice. Register for your session in Grad Gargoyle.
- For Your Job Search
- Winter Quarter Social Events
- Music Bingo, January 15, 5:30-6:30pm CT: Join your fellow graduate students and test your knowledge and musical skills with music bingo!
- Share Your Pet: A Virtual Comfort Session, March 15, 5:30-6:30pm CT: While campus is closed, we’ve all grown accustomed to seeing videos and Tik Toks of quarantine pets. Join us in this virtual get together and show off your quarantine cuddle buddy! Share your funny stories and decompress with us before finals with some pet love!
UChicagoGRAD joins the rest of the University of Chicago campus in mourning the passing of Yiran Fan, a PhD student. The loss will be felt deeply in our community. Read the full statement from President Robert J. Zimmer and Ka Yee C. Lee here.
Please see some of the campus emotional support resources below:
- Virtual Let’s Talk
- 24/7 Therapist On-Call: 773.702.3625
- Counseling Appointment: 773.834.WELL
- THRIVE Series (OIA + Student Counseling + UChicagoGRAD)
- Other ongoing wellness programs
- Sounding Board
- Weekly International Student Support Space
(Student Counseling + OIA)
- Every week throughout Winter quarter
- Alternating Wednesday at 4pm & Friday at 9am
- More details can be found here
- Center for Identity + Inclusion
- International House
- Health Promotion and Wellness
Other Campus Programs
- ArtsPass Program
- Campus and Student Life
- Center for Leadership and Involvement
- Emergency Assistance Programs
- Food Security
- Spiritual Life
- Student Centers
- Virtual UChicago Arts
- Winter Wellness
- Student Wellness
- Career Development Resources
- Related Campus Organizations