Hosted at the he University of Texas at Austin, the St. Elmo Arts Residency offers one fellowship each academic year to a newly minted MFA artist in painting, drawing, print, photo, sculpture or multimedia. The residency includes a beautiful house and studio in a small artist compound in the St. Elmo district of South Austin, located midway between the university campus and the Wildflower Center.
The fellowship includes:
- 24-hour access to a private 1800-square-foot studio
- Private furnished house capable of accommodating the fellow and a partner (no children or pets)
- $30,000 stipend
- Access to health insurance and benefits
- Part-time teaching experience at UT Austin
- Part-time teaching experience at the Wildflower Center
- Solo exhibition at the Wildflower Center
- 9½-month commitment
- Teach one class per semester (two classes total) in Studio Art in the Department of Art and Art History
- Teach one workshop per semester (two workshops total) at the Wildflower Center
- Public lecture on your work
- Solo exhibition
For the residency beginning early August, only artists graduating from an MFA program in the previous August through July 1 are invited to apply.