The Science and Engineering Industry Expo is an annual, intimate recruitment and career exploration event, connecting UChicago PhD students and postdocs in chemistry, physics, chemical biology, biophysics, molecular engineering, computer science, and related disciplines to employers in industry and government.
Employers promote their organization and screen candidates in a variety of one-on-one interactions including: short presentations, a career panel, networking lunch, and speed interviews.
INDUSTRY EXPO 2018 RECAP – September 21, 2018
Employers in attendance: Argonne, BASF, Cabot Microelectronics, Citrine, Civis Analytics, D.E. Shaw Research*, Honeywell, IBM, Nalco/EcoLab, Shimadzu, Solvay*, and Tempus (*sponsor)
- Facilitated ~160 1-on-1 speed interviews between employers and PhD students/postdocs
- Employer survey highlights:
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed that they are interested in participating again
- 100% agreed or strongly agreed that attending was a good use of their time
- 80% agreed or strongly agreed that the people they interviewed were appropriate and a good match
- Over 70 PhD students and postdocs attended the 2018 event. Trainee survey highlights:
- 97% either agreed or strongly agreed that they felt satisfied with the event overall
- 95% either agreed or strongly agreed that they would recommend this event to a peer/friend
This event is free to attend, although we do offer various sponsorship levels which afford certain perks. Most companies send 1-2 people to attend, and while not all are actively recruiting for specific positions, they utilize the event to create more awareness for their company and to build connections within our trainee population.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact Briana Konnick at email@example.com. Registration for the 2019 event will open next summer.
STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS:
Check back soon for the date for the 2019 event! And keep in mind that you do not need to be currently searching for a position to attend this event.
You must submit a two-page resume by the time registration closes either directly to Briana Konnick by email or through the GRAD Gargoyle system. A suggested template for this event is here, but you do not HAVE to use this version. Whatever you submit, please keep it to two pages. If you have this document ready, please upload it into your documents in GRAD Gargoyle before you RSVP. Then, when you RSVP (Events > Career Fairs), you will be able to select the resume from your document archive.
- Scientific Industry Resume Workshop on August 29, 2018 (RSVP through GRAD Gargoyle)
- Registration for this event will close on September 7, 2018 by midnight
- Sign-ups for 1-on-1 speed interviews will occur from September 11-13, 2018
- Mandatory prep session with lunch on September 14, 2018
Eligibility: The Industry Expo is open to PhD students and postdocs in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Engineering, Computer Science, JFI, KAVLI, Physics, and Geophysical Sciences
Speed Interviews: Not all attending employers are actively trying to fill a current open position, so these speed interviews can be more informational.
SPONSORS of 2018 Industry Expo: