The Science and Engineering Industry Expo is an annual, intimate recruitment and career exploration event, now in its 6th year, and features UChicago PhD students and postdocs in chemistry, physics, chemical biology, biophysics, molecular engineering, computer science, and related disciplines.
Employers from industrial and governmental settings will have the opportunity to promote their organization and to screen candidates in a variety of one-on-one interactions including: short presentations, a panel, networking lunch, and speed interviews.
- 8:30-9:15am – Breakfast and Check-in
- 9:15-9:30am – Welcome
- 9:30-noon – Track 1 Employer Presentations and Panel
- 9:30-noon – Speed Interviews
- Noon-1:30pm – Networking Lunch
- 1:30-4pm – Track 2 Employer Presentations and Panel
- 1:30-4pm – Speed Interviews
- 4-5pm – Wrap up and thank you
STUDENTS AND POSTDOCS:
You must submit a two-page resume by the time registration closes (September 7th) either directly to Briana Konnick by email or through the GRAD Gargoyle system. A suggested template for this event is here, but you do not HAVE to use this version. Whatever you submit, please keep it to two pages. If you have this document ready, please upload it into your documents in GRAD Gargoyle before you RSVP. Then, when you RSVP (Events > Career Fairs), you will be able to select the resume from your document archive.
- Scientific Industry Resume Workshop on August 29, 2018 (RSVP through GRAD Gargoyle)
- Registration for this event will close on September 7, 2018
- Sign-ups for 1-on-1 speed interviews will occur from September 11-13, 2018
- Mandatory prep session with lunch on September 14, 2018
Eligibility: The Industry Expo is open to PhD students and postdocs in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Biophysics, Molecular Engineering, Computer Science, JFI, KAVLI, Physics, and Geophysical Sciences
Confirmed employers attending the 2018 event include: BASF, Shimadzu, Argonne, DE Shaw*, Citrine, Nalco/EcoLab, Water Intelligence, and Cabot Microelectronics. More updates will come soon!
This event is free to attend, although we do offer various sponsorship levels which afford certain perks. Most companies send 1-2 people to attend, and while not all are actively recruiting for specific positions, they utilize the event to create more awareness for their company and to build connections within our trainee population.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact Briana Konnick at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to register for the event, please do so here. Registration deadline is August 31, 2018.