Google PhD Fellowships directly support graduate students as they pursue their PhD, as well as connect them to a Google Research Mentor. The Google PhD Fellowship Program was created to recognize outstanding graduate students doing exceptional work in computer science and related research areas.
In the United States, Canada, and Europe, accredited PhD granting institutions in Computer Science or related fields may nominate up to four eligible students during the application period. The fellowship offers:
- 2 year Fellowship with opportunity to extend to 3rd year
- Full tuition and fees (enrollment fees, health insurance, books) plus a stipend to be used for living expenses, travel and personal equipment
- Google Research Mentor
Universities should only nominate students that meet the following requirements:
- Full-time graduate students pursuing a PhD and enrolled in an institution in the U.S.
- Completed graduate coursework by the academic award year when the Fellowship begins.
- Students must remain enrolled full-time in the PhD program for the duration of the Fellowship or forfeit the award.
- Google employees, and their spouses, children, and members of their household are not eligible.
- Students that are already supported by a comparable industry award are not eligible. Government or non-profit organization funding is exempt.
Google PhD Fellowship students are a select group recognized by Google researchers and their institutions as some of the most promising young academics in the world. The Fellowships are awarded to students who represent the future of research in the following fields:
- Algorithms, Optimizations and Markets
- Computational Neuroscience
- Human-Computer Interaction
- Machine Learning
- Machine Perception, Speech Technology and Computer Vision
- Mobile Computing
- Natural Language Processing (including Information Retrieval and Extraction)
- Privacy and Security
- Programming Languages and Software Engineering
- Quantum Computing
- Structured Data and Database Management
- Systems and Networking
The Google North America and Europe PhD Fellowship program opens at the beginning of September and the deadline is the end of September.