This fellowship allows one PhD candidate to study and research abroad at the École Nationale des Chartes in Paris and one affiliate of the École Nationale des Chartes to travel to Chicago to conduct research at the Newberry.
École Nationale des Chartes in Paris is the oldest institution in Europe specializing in the archival sciences, including paleography, bibliography, textual editing, and the history of the book. It is strongly recommended that the recipient be in residence at the École during the fall semester. The fellowship offers support for three months.
- May be of any nationality.
- Must be enrolled in a PhD program at a US or Canadian university.
- Must be ABD before the application deadline, with all graduate coursework, exams, and other relevant requirements completed.
- Must demonstrate a need for the training available at the École des Chartes.
- Must submit a letter from their university certifying French language fluency.
- Applications are especially encouraged from students who are in the early stage of their dissertation work
Award amount: $2,500 stipend, auditor tuition, and a portion of living expenses (up to one term) in Paris for a period of three months.