EXTENDED DEADLINE OF APRIL 26, 2021
The Edith Fuerstenberg, Naomi Fuerstenberg, and Simon Fuerstenberg Fellowships are awarded to University of Chicago students in all fields of study who also have pursued, are pursuing, or have expressed an intention to pursue Jewish theological seminary training. The fellowship may also be awarded to students with financial need. While students in all fields are encouraged to apply, priority will be given to those pursuing Jewish Studies, broadly defined. Fellowships of up to $12,500 each are awarded to defray research and living expenses during the award period (July 1-June 30). The deadline is April 15, 2021 at 5pm CST.
- Must be pursuing a full-time degree at the University of Chicago in one of the graduate academic divisions (Biological Sciences, Divinity School, Humanities, Physical Sciences, Social Sciences, PME), professional schools (Booth, Harris School, Law, Pritzker, Social Services Administration), or the College.
- Students of any citizenship may apply.
- Students who have previously received a Fuerstenberg Fellowship may re-apply in subsequent competitions but renewed funding is not guaranteed.
- Must have a UChicago transcript at the time of application.
By April 15, 2021 at 5:00 pm CST, applicants must submit the following materials to James Cotton, Assistant Director of Fellowships in UChicagoGRAD, via e-mail (email@example.com). Selection decisions are generally announced by June 1.
- Fuerstenberg Application and Financial Summary Form (Click here: Fuerstenberg-Application-2021
- One-page statement (500 words or less) that describes the applicant’s research interests and how the Fuerstenberg Fellowship will assist in reaching academic goals;
- Official University of Chicago transcript listing courses and grades (Note: student can request that e-transcripts be sent to James Cotton at (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the applicant’s advisor (Note: recommenders can send letters to James Cotton at (email@example.com).