International Applicants

The University of Chicago community is enriched through the diversity of our students’ backgrounds and perspectives, including students from more than 100 countries. Each of our admissions offices is dedicated to assisting international students with the application process, and our Office of International Affairs supports the unique needs of our international students, postdocs, staff, and faculty.

Admissions Requirements

Application requirements are, broadly speaking, the same for all applicants – there are not different requirements based on citizenship. However, we understand that there are particular questions that may most often be of concern to international applicants.

All applicants to our graduate and professional programs are expected to be enrolled in or to have completed a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from an accredited college or university. Applicants from a three-year bachelor’s program will be given due consideration. Because all of our programs feature competitive admission, no particular academic degree or background will guarantee admission to one of our graduate divisions. Questions regarding eligibility for admission to a graduate or professional program should be directed to the admissions office of the division or school to which you are applying.

English Language Requirements

All applicants for admission to the University must meet the English language requirements outlined here, regardless of citizenship or nationality. Please note that there is some variation in required test scores; individual divisions or schools may require higher or lower minimum scores, and will note these on their websites.

Students may submit either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the academic version of the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). TOEFL or IELTS score reports are valid for two years, and scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to the application deadline. Photocopies or scans of TOEFL or IELTS score reports will not be accepted.

To submit a TOEFL score, please use ETS code 1832. (Exceptions: Booth School of Business MBA: 1832-02, Booth School of Business PhD: 1819.) It does not matter what department code you enter, if you are asked to choose one.

If you are submitting the IELTS, the University of Chicago receives IELTS scores that have been transmitted to our e-download account. We do not accept paper IELTS test report forms or scans of report forms. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account: University of Chicago – Graduate Enrollment 970 East 58th Street, Third Floor Chicago, IL 60637

If you need to contact us about receipt of your test scores, please include the program you are applying to and your application reference number, as well as details of any discrepancy in name or email address between your application account and your test score record. You will receive an automated confirmation email from our office when we receive your test score(s), which may take up to six weeks. If you have not received the email confirmation, we have not yet received your scores.

Language Requirement Exceptions

There are two ways to qualify for a waiver of the requirement to submit English proficiency test scores: The “primary language” waiver, and the “qualifying education” waiver.

Primary Language waiver: English has been a primary language of communication and schooling for you since childhood.

Qualifying Education waiver: You were enrolled for at least one full academic year in full-time coursework (not research or other programs such as English language courses) in a course of study at an accredited English-medium post-secondary institution in one of the following countries or territories within the past ten years: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Kingdom, the United States.

Education in English-medium institutions in other countries or territories does not qualify for the exemption.

Read more about our waiver policy here.

Transcripts and Certificates of Records

Unofficial documents are accepted for the admissions process – we recommend that students secure a copy of their current official transcript, and upload a scan or copy of it. This ensures that it is a recognizable institutional document, but we don’t require your school to send it directly to us for the application process.

Documents should be issued in their original language and be accompanied by official English translations. The translations should be prepared or verified by someone whose position requires knowledge of both English and the other language, e.g., a professor of English at a French university.

Official documents – issued by your institution electronically, or in sealed envelopes – are only required if you are admitted and plan to enroll. At that point, the school or division will tell you exactly what their official document requirements are, and the deadline for submitting them.


The University of Chicago Office of International Affairs offers support and guidance for students who must obtain a visa to study in the United States. If you are admitted and decide to attend UChicago, you will receive specific instructions on the process.

Still have questions about the process? Please visit the International Applicant FAQ page for answers to frequently–asked questions.