Your investment in a master’s degree at the University of Chicago can pay life–long dividends—advancing your academic and professional career, and developing critical skills and valuable connections with world–class peers. The availability of aid to master’s degree candidates directly from the schools and divisions varies widely, with many programs offering some partial- to full-tuition merit awards, a few offering need‐based aid, and some programs offering little or no institutional aid. Such institutional aid awards are typically offered at the time an admissions decision is made, and in the case of merit awards, require no separate application.

We encourage all students to explore the availability of outside sources of funding they may be eligible for, such as grants, fellowships, or government scholarships. For many students, education loans may be one source of funding for the degree. If you are considering using student loans to finance your education, you should review  the application process for federal student loans, available on the University’s Office of Financial Aid website. We encourage applicants to consider their own circumstances and goals in making decisions about funding their program of study.

Student Loans

It is crucial to consider the cost of each master’s program to which you apply, and to have an understanding of how you will pay for the degree. Many students finance their education using student loans. If you are planning to do so, be sure to understand the terms of repayment before you apply. Admitted students will receive additional information from their program on submitting the FAFSA and receiving a loan eligibility package. Our Office of Financial Aid manages this process for graduate students; please consult their website carefully for additional resources.


In addition to merit– or need–based aid offered at the time of admission, the University also offers other funding opportunities to support academic and professional development during the course of study. Start researching programs early to identify these opportunities. The University maintains a Fellowships Database to assist students in searching for these fellowships. Filter by “Master’s” to identify sources of supplemental funding. This database includes fellowships unique to UChicago as well as funding provided by external organizations.

Student Employment

During their time at UChicago, students can find a variety of employment opportunities that support and complement their education without interfering with their studies. On- and off-campus internships such as the Higher Education Fellows program offer students an opportunity to explore options and gain skills, and several services help connect students to these positions or directly employ students.

Student Jobs Database

The University of Chicago Student Employment site requires a UChicago CNet ID to access fully, lists a wide range of jobs for current students, including teaching and assistantship opportunities.

Marketplace by the Chicago Maroon

The Maroon, a university-specific site is similar to Craig’s List, has postings for jobs in addition to a wide array of other offerings.

Neighborhood Schools Program (NSP)

The Neighborhood Schools Program employs work-study and some non-work-study students in area schools and community organizations as teaching assistants and tutors, technology assistants, and more.

University Community Service Center (UCSC)

The University Community Service Center facilitates off-campus work-study jobs with Chicago area nonprofit organizations focusing on research, community outreach, communications, direct service with children, and more.

University of Chicago Medicine Employment

University of Chicago Medicine’s employment database is full- and part-time administrative and clerical positions at the on-campus medical center.

Chicago Center for Teaching (CCT)

The Chicago Center for Teaching offers workshops, seminars, and consultation to hone your teaching skills, as well as employing current graduate students, and may have information on local institutions seeking instructors.

Employment Information for International Students

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) maintains information on the forms and requirements for international students with F-1 or J-1 status who seek employment in the United States.

Loan Programs

Loan programs augment any other aid students have received from the University and from outside funding sources. Find details of all loan programs for domestic citizens and application instructions on the Graduate Financial Aid website. In order to apply for student loans through the University, you will need to complete the FAFSA after January 1.

Educational Benefits for Military Affiliates

The University of Chicago welcomes veterans and other military-affiliated students to our community. The University’s Office for Military-Affiliated Communities (OMAC) helps military-affiliated individuals obtain educational benefits from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense, and provides a range of other services as well.

Specialist advisers in the Office of the Registrar and the Office for Military-Affiliated Communities assist individuals who need enrollment certification or other documentation. We encourage military-affiliated prospective students to consult with OMAC by contacting them at

The Yellow Ribbon Program: This program provides funding for post-9/11 servicemen and women to attend the University, in partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. Yellow Ribbon applicants must be admitted and have confirmed their intent to enroll into an academic program before submitting a Yellow Ribbon application to the University of Chicago, and acceptance in the program is on a first-come, first-serve basis, although most programs do not limit the number of participants.