International Students

Funding for international graduate students in most programs is similar to that offered to domestic students. Doctoral students in a given program, for example, are typically all eligible for the same funding package regardless of citizenship status. In many cases, your government or other agencies or corporations in your home country may offer funding for study in the U.S., which we strongly encourage you to explore.

External Funding

A wide variety of funding sources may be available to you, depending upon your area of study, home country, and other factors. Education USA advisors in 400 locations around the world can often offer guidance and information on the graduate school application and admissions process, and along with other organizations, such as the Institute of International Education, typically maintains lists of region-specific funding sources. UChicago’s Office of International Affairs (OIA) has a list of some major sources of funding available here.


The University of Chicago offers the majority of incoming doctoral students competitive five-year funding packages, which cover tuition and student health insurance and also include a stipend for living expenses and research support. For more information about specific funding for your degree program, please refer to the financial aid information for each division or professional school.


In most cases, international students cannot participate in U.S. federal loan programs, but may still apply for private alternative loans in the United States. (Please note that some of these loans may require a co-signer in the U.S.) Foreign applicants are urged to seek aid from other areas (such as fellowships awarded through their home country) before seeking admission to a graduate program at the University of Chicago.

Student Employment

During their time at UChicago, students can find a variety of employment opportunities that support their education without interfering with their studies. The majority of student jobs on campus are open to all current students, regardless of their citizenship. The Office of International Affairs (OIA) provides forms, requirements and job search advice for international students with F-1 or J-1 status who seek employment in the United States. Visit Employment Information for International Students for more information.

OIA Resources

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) and the College’s Career Advancement office have teamed up to create a host of exciting events for international students embarking on their job search. Please see the OIA’s Calendar for upcoming events.

Unpaid Internships and Volunteer Positions

Students may work as volunteers or unpaid interns without additional authorization, where this practice does not violate U.S. labor law.