Applicants to the graduate schools and divisions of the University of Chicago who do not meet the criteria below must submit proof of English language proficiency. This policy applies to all* graduate programs; the score level required for admission varies by program. Only the TOEFL iBT or IELTS Academic tests are accepted as proof of proficiency.
English has been a primary language of communication and schooling for you since childhood; or you were enrolled for at least one academic year in full-time status in a course of study at an accredited English-medium post-secondary institution in one of the following countries or territories within the past ten years: Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Canada, Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Hong Kong, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Singapore, South Africa, Trinidad and Tobago, the United Kingdom, the United States.
Education in English-medium institutions in other countries or territories does not qualify for the exemption.
Please do not contact departments or Admissions regarding a waiver. If you meet the criteria the application system will automatically not require you to report a TOEFL/IELTS score.
High school or secondary school does not qualify an applicant for exemption; nor do part-time or research-based programs that did not involve full time coursework in English.
In order to meet the proof of proficiency requirement, students may submit either:
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) internet-based test (iBT), including the standard at-home version or
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic – Note: applicants are required to take the Academic Reading/Writing test within IELTS, not the General Training Reading/Writing test.
- Any other proficiency tests, exams, equivalent coursework, certificate/certifications, endorsement from faculty, and/or other measurement other than the TOEFL or IELTS are not accepted. This includes the IELTS “Indicator” test and the TOEFL ITP Plus.
TOEFL or IELTS score reports are valid for two years and scores will be considered expired if the test was taken more than two years prior to the application deadline. Photocopies or PDFs of TOEFL or IELTS Score Reports will not be considered valid or accepted in lieu of an official score report.
Where to Send Test Scores
If you are taking the TOEFL, request the scores to be sent to the University of Chicago. The institutional codes are as follows:
- University of Chicago: 1832
- Booth School of Business MBA: 1832-02
- Booth School of Business PhD: 1819
- Harris School of Public Policy Studies: 1849
University of Chicago downloads IELTS scores that have been transmitted to our e-download account. Please contact your test center and request that your scores be sent to the following IELTS e-download account:
University of Chicago – Graduate Enrollment
970 East 58th Street, Third Floor
Chicago, IL 60637
The University does not accept paper IELTS test report forms.
*Note: The Chicago Booth School of Business MBA programs offer additional waiver options. Please consult with the relevant MBA admissions office for more information.